|অন্যান্য নাম||beer belly, beer gut, pot belly, spare tyre, bread box|
|A centrally obese male. Weight 182 kg/400 lbs, height 185 cm/6 ft 1 in. The body mass index is 53.|
Abdominal obesity, also known as central obesity, occurs when excessive abdominal fat around the stomach and abdomen has built up to the extent that it is likely to have a negative impact on health. Central obesity has been strongly linked to cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's disease, and other metabolic and vascular diseases.
Visceral fat, also known as organ fat or intra-abdominal fat, is located inside the peritoneal cavity, packed in between internal organs and torso, as opposed to subcutaneous fat, which is found underneath the skin, and intramuscular fat, which is found interspersed in skeletal muscle. Visceral fat is composed of several adipose depots including mesenteric, epididymal white adipose tissue (EWAT) and perirenal fat. An excess of visceral fat is known as central obesity, the "pot belly" or "beer belly" effect, in which the abdomen protrudes excessively. This body type is also known as "apple shaped", as opposed to "pear shaped", in which fat is deposited on the hips and buttocks.
Researchers first started to focus on abdominal obesity in the 1980s when they realized it had an important connection to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and dyslipidemia. Abdominal obesity was more closely related with metabolic dysfunctions connected with cardiovascular disease than was general obesity. In the late 1980s and early 1990s insightful and powerful imaging techniques were discovered that would further help advance the understanding of the health risks associated with body fat accumulation. Techniques such as computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging made it possible to categorize mass of adipose tissue located at the abdominal level into intra-abdominal fat and subcutaneous fat.
- ১ Health risks
- ২ Causes
- ৩ Diagnosis
- ৪ Prevention and treatments
- ৫ Society and culture
- ৬ See also
- ৭ References
- ৮ Further reading
- ৯ External links
Central obesity is associated with a statistically higher risk of heart disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes (see below). With an increase in the waist to hip ratio and overall waist circumference the risk of death increases as well. Metabolic syndrome is associated with abdominal obesity, blood lipid disorders, inflammation, insulin resistance, full-blown diabetes, and increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease. It is now generally believed that intra-abdominal fat is the depot that conveys the biggest health risk.
Central obesity can be a feature of lipodystrophies, a group of diseases that is either inherited, or due to secondary causes (often protease inhibitors, a group of medications against AIDS). Central obesity is a symptom of Cushing's syndrome and is also common in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Central obesity is associated with glucose intolerance and dyslipidemia. Once dyslipidemia becomes a severe problem, an individual's abdominal cavity would generate elevated free fatty acid flux to the liver. The effect of abdominal adiposity occurs not just in those who are obese, but also affects people who are non-obese and it also contributes to insulin sensitivity.
Recent validation has concluded that total and regional body volume estimates correlate positively and significantly with biomarkers of cardiovascular risk and BVI calculations correlate significantly with all biomarkers of cardio-vascular risk.
Ghroubi et al. (2007) examined whether abdominal circumference is a more reliable indicator than BMI of the presence of knee osteoarthritis in obese patients. They found that it actually appears to be a factor linked with the presence of knee pain as well as osteoarthritis in obese study subjects. Ghroubi et al. (2007) concluded that a high abdominal circumference is associated with great functional repercussion.
There are numerous theories as to the exact cause and mechanism in type 2 diabetes. Central obesity is known to predispose individuals for insulin resistance. Abdominal fat is especially active hormonally, secreting a group of hormones called adipokines that may possibly impair glucose tolerance. But adiponectin which is found in lower concentration in obese and diabetic individuals has shown to be beneficial and protective in type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Insulin resistance is a major feature of diabetes mellitus type 2 (T2DM), and central obesity is correlated with both insulin resistance and T2DM itself. Increased adiposity (obesity) raises serum resistin levels, which in turn directly correlate to insulin resistance. Studies have also confirmed a direct correlation between resistin levels and T2DM. And it is waistline adipose tissue (central obesity) which seems to be the foremost type of fat deposits contributing to rising levels of serum resistin. Conversely, serum resistin levels have been found to decline with decreased adiposity following medical treatment.
Developing asthma due to abdominal obesity is also a main concern. As a result of breathing at low lung volume, the muscles are tighter and the airway is narrower. It is commonly seen that people who are obese breathe quickly and often, while inhaling small volumes of air. People with obesity are also more likely to be hospitalized for asthma. A study has stated that 75% of patients treated for asthma in the emergency room were either overweight or obese.
Based on studies, it is evident that obesity has a strong association with vascular and metabolic disease which could potentially be linked to Alzheimer's disease. Recent studies have also shown an association between mid-life obesity and dementia, but the relationship between later life obesity and dementia is less clear. A study by Debette et al. (2010) examining over 700 adults found evidence to suggest higher volumes of visceral fat, regardless of overall weight, were associated with smaller brain volumes and increased risk of dementia. Alzheimer's disease and abdominal obesity has a strong correlation and with metabolic factors added in, the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease was even higher. Based on logistic regression analyses, it was found that obesity was associated with an almost 10-fold increase risk of Alzheimer's disease.
The currently prevalent belief is that the immediate cause of obesity is net energy imbalance—the organism consumes more usable calories than it expends, wastes, or discards through elimination. Some studies indicate that visceral adiposity, together with lipid dysregulation and decreased insulin sensitivity, is related to the excessive consumption of fructose. Greater meat consumption has also been positively associated with greater weight gain, and specifically abdominal obesity, even when accounting for calories. Other environmental factors, such as maternal smoking, estrogenic compounds in the diet, and endocrine-disrupting chemicals may be important also. Obesity plays an important role in the impairment of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism shown in high-carbohydrate diets.[অনির্ভরযোগ্য উৎস?] It has also been shown that quality protein intake during a 24-hour period and the number of times the essential amino acid threshold of approximately 10 g has been achieved is inversely related to the percentage of central abdominal fat. Quality protein uptake is defined as the ratio of essential amino acids to daily dietary protein.
Visceral fat cells will release their metabolic by-products in the portal circulation, where the blood leads straight to the liver. Thus, the excess of triglycerides and fatty acids created by the visceral fat cells will go into the liver and accumulate there. In the liver, most of it will be stored as fat. This concept is known as 'lipotoxicity'.
Hypercortisolism, such as in Cushing's syndrome, also leads to central obesity. Many prescription drugs, such as dexamethasone and other steroids, can also have side effects resulting in central obesity, especially in the presence of elevated insulin levels.
The prevalence of abdominal obesity is increasing in western populations, possibly due to a combination of low physical activity and high-calorie diets, and also in developing countries, where it is associated with the urbanization of populations.
Waist measurement (e.g. for BFP standard) is more prone to errors than measuring height and weight (e.g. for BMI standard). It is recommended to use both standards. BMI will illustrate the best estimate of your total body fatness, while waist measurement gives an estimate of visceral fat and risk of obesity-related disease.
A study has shown that alcohol consumption is directly associated with waist circumference and with a higher risk of abdominal obesity in men, but not in women. Excluding energy under-reporters slightly attenuated these associations. After controlling for energy under-reporting, it was observed that increasing alcohol consumption significantly increased the risk of exceeding recommended energy intakes in male participants – but not in the small number of female participants (2.13%) with elevated alcohol consumption, even after establishing a lower number of drinks per day to characterize women as consuming a high quantity of alcohol. Further research is needed to determine whether a significant relationship between alcohol consumption and abdominal obesity exists among women who consume higher amounts of alcohol.
There are various ways of measuring abdominal obesity including:
- Absolute waist circumference (>১০২ সেমি (৪০ ইঞ্চি) in men and >৮৮ সেমি (৩৫ ইঞ্চি) in women)
- Waist–hip ratio (the circumference of the waist divided by that of the hips of >0.9 for men and >0.85 for women)
- Waist-to-height ratioটেমপ্লেট:Ums
- Sagittal Abdominal Diameter
In those with a BMI under 35, intra-abdominal body fat is related to negative health outcomes independent of total body fat. Intra-abdominal or visceral fat has a particularly strong correlation with cardiovascular disease.
BMI and waist measurements are well recognized ways to characterize obesity. However, waist measurements are not as accurate as BMI measurements. For this reason, it is recommended to use both methods of measurements.
While central obesity can be obvious just by looking at the naked body (see the picture), the severity of central obesity is determined by taking waist and hip measurements. The absolute waist circumference ১০২ সেন্টিমিটার (৪০ ইঞ্চি) in men and ৮৮ সেন্টিমিটার (৩৫ ইঞ্চি) in women) and the waist-hip ratio (>0.9 for men and >0.85 for women) are both used as measures of central obesity. A differential diagnosis includes distinguishing central obesity from ascites and intestinal bloating. In the cohort of 15,000 people participating in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), waist circumference explained obesity-related health risk better than the body mass index (or BMI) when metabolic syndrome was taken as an outcome measure and this difference was statistically significant. In other words, excessive waist circumference appears to be more of a risk factor for metabolic syndrome than BMI. Another measure of central obesity which has shown superiority to BMI in predicting cardiovascular disease risk is the Index of Central Obesity (waist-to-height ratio - WHtR), where a ratio of >=0.5 (i.e. a waist circumference at least half of the individual's height) is predictive of increased risk. Another diagnosis of obesity is the analysis of intra-abdominal fat having the most risk to one's personal health. The increased amount of fat in this region relates to the higher levels of plasma lipid and lipoproteins as per studies mentioned by Eric Poehlman (1998) review. An increasing acceptance of the importance of central obesity within the medical profession as an indicator of health risk has led to new developments in obesity diagnosis such as the Body Volume Index, which measures central obesity by measuring a person's body shape and their weight distribution. The effect of abdominal adiposity occurs not just in those who are obese, but also affects people who are non-obese and it also contributes to insulin sensitivity.
Index of central obesity[সম্পাদনা]
Index of Central Obesity (ICO) is the ratio of waist circumference and height first proposed by a Parikh et al. in 2007 as a better substitute to the widely used waist circumference in defining metabolic syndrome. The National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III suggested cut off of ১০২ সেমি (৪০ ইঞ্চি) and ৮৮ সেমি (৩৫ ইঞ্চি) for males and females as a marker of central obesity. The same was used in defining metabolic syndrome. Misra et al. suggested that these cutoffs are not applicable among Indians and the cutoffs be lowered to ৯০ সেমি (৩৫ ইঞ্চি) and ৮০ সেমি (৩১ ইঞ্চি) for males and females. Various race specific cutoffs were suggested by different groups.[তথ্যসূত্র প্রয়োজন] The International Diabetes Federation defined central obesity based on these various race and gender specific cutoffs. The other limitation of waist circumference is that it can not be applied in children.[সন্দেহপূর্ণ ]
Parikh et al. looked at the average heights of various races and suggested that by using ICO various race- and gender-specific cutoffs of waist circumference can be discarded. An ICO cutoff of 0.53 was suggested as a criterion to define central obesity. Parikh et al. further tested a modified definition of metabolic syndrome in which waist circumference was replaced with ICO in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) database and found the modified definition to be more specific and sensitive.
Central obesity is positively associated with coronary heart disease risk in women and men. It has been hypothesized that the sex differences in fat distribution may explain the sex difference in coronary heart disease risk.
There are sex-dependent differences in regional fat distribution. In women, estrogen is believed to cause fat to be stored in the buttocks, thighs, and hips. When women reach menopause and the estrogen produced by ovaries declines, fat migrates from their buttocks, hips, and thighs to their belly.
Males are more susceptible to upper-body fat accumulation, most likely in the belly, due to sex hormone differences. Abdominal obesity in males is correlated with comparatively low testosterone levels. Testosterone administration significantly increased thigh muscle area, reduced subcutaneous fat deposition at all levels measured, but slightly increased the visceral fat area.
Even with the differences, at any given level of central obesity measured as waist circumference or waist to hip ratio, coronary artery disease rates are identical in men and women.
Prevention and treatments[সম্পাদনা]
A permanent routine of exercise, eating healthily, and, during periods of being overweight, consuming the same number or fewer calories than used will prevent and help fight obesity. A single pound of fat yields approximately 3500 calories of energy (32 000 kJ energy per kilogram of fat), and weight loss is achieved by reducing energy intake, or increasing energy expenditure, thus achieving a negative balance. Adjunctive therapies which may be prescribed by a physician are orlistat or sibutramine, although the latter has been associated with increased cardiovascular events and strokes and has been withdrawn from the market in the United States, the UK, the EU, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Thailand, Egypt and Mexico.
A 2006 study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, suggests that combining cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise with resistance training is more effective than cardiovascular training alone in getting rid of abdominal fat. An additional benefit to exercising is that it reduces stress and insulin levels, which reduce the presence of cortisol, a hormone that leads to more belly fat deposits.
Self-motivation by understanding the risks associated with abdominal obesity is widely regarded as being far more important than worries about cosmetics. In addition, understanding the health issues linked with abdominal obesity can help in the self-motivation process of losing the abdominal fat. As mentioned above, abdominal fat is linked with cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. Specifically it's the deepest layer of belly fat (the fat you cannot see or grab) that poses health risks, as these "visceral" fat cells produce hormones that can affect health (e.g. increased insulin resistance and/or breast cancer risk). The risk increases considering the fact that they are located in the proximity or in between organs in the abdominal cavity. For example, fat next to the liver drains into it, causing a fatty liver, which is a risk factor for insulin resistance, setting the stage for type 2 diabetes.
In the presence of type 2 diabetes, the physician might instead prescribe metformin and thiazolidinediones (rosiglitazone or pioglitazone) as antidiabetic drugs rather than sulfonylurea derivatives. Thiazolidinediones may cause slight weight gain but decrease "pathologic" abdominal fat (visceral fat), and therefore may be prescribed for diabetics with central obesity. Thiazolidinedione has been associated with heart failure and increased cardiovascular risk; so it has been withdrawn from the market in Europe by EMA in 2010.
Low-fat diets may not be an effective long-term intervention for obesity: as Bacon and Aphramor wrote, "The majority of individuals regain virtually all of the weight that was lost during treatment." The Women's Health Initiative ("the largest and longest randomized, controlled dietary intervention clinical trial") found that long-term dietary intervention increased the waist circumference of both the intervention group and the control group, though the increase was smaller for the intervention group. The conclusion was that mean weight decreased significantly in the intervention group from baseline to year 1 by 2.2 kg (P<.001) and was 2.2 kg less than the control group change from baseline at year 1. This difference from baseline between control and intervention groups diminished over time, but a significant difference in weight was maintained through year 9, the end of the study.
Society and culture[সম্পাদনা]
There is a common misconception that spot exercise (that is, exercising a specific muscle or location of the body) most effectively burns fat at the desired location, but this is not the case. Spot exercise is beneficial for building specific muscles, but it has little effect, if any, on fat in that area of the body, or on the body's distribution of body fat. The same logic applies to sit-ups and belly fat. Sit-ups, crunches and other abdominal exercises are useful in building the abdominal muscles, but they have little effect, if any, on the adipose tissue located there. Another misconception is that, excessive ejaculation causes abdominal obesity; but this concept has also been scientifically denied by the physicians.
Several colloquial terms used to refer to central obesity, and to people who have it, refer to beer drinking. However, there is little scientific evidence that beer drinkers are more prone to central obesity, despite its being known colloquially as "beer belly", "beer gut", or "beer pot". One of the few studies conducted on the subject did not find that beer drinkers are more prone to central obesity than nondrinkers or drinkers of wine or spirits. Chronic alcoholism can lead to cirrhosis, symptoms of which include gynecomastia (enlarged breasts) and ascites (abdominal fluid). These symptoms can suggest the appearance of central obesity.
Deposits of excess fat at the sides of one's waistline are commonly referred to as "love handles".
Researchers in Copenhagen examined the relationship between waist circumferences and costs among 31,840 subjects aged 50–64 years of age with different waist circumferences. Their study showed that an increase in just an additional centimetre above normal waistline caused a 1.25% and 2.08% rise in health care costs in women and men respectively. To put this in perspective, a woman with a waistline of 95 cm (approx 37.4 in) and without underlying health problems or co-morbidities can incur economic costs that are 22%, or US$397, higher per year than a woman with a normal waist circumference.
- Bariatrics, the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention, and treatment of obesity
- Lipoatrophy, the term describing the localized loss of fat tissue
- Lipodystrophy, a medical condition characterized by abnormal or degenerative conditions of the body's adipose tissue.
- Panniculus, hanging belly fat
- Sagittal Abdominal Diameter (SAD), a measure of visceral obesity
- Steatosis, also called fatty change, fatty degeneration or adipose degeneration
- Yusuf, S.; Hawken S.; Ounpuu, S.; Dans, T.; Avezum, A.; Lanas, F.; McQueen, M.; Budaj, A.; Pais, P.; Varigos, J.; Lisheng, L.; INTERHEART Study Investigators (২০০৪)। "Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study"। Lancet। 364 (9438): 937–52। doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17018-9। PMID 15364185।
- Razay, G.; Vreugdenhil, A.; Wilcock, G. (২০০৬)। "Obesity, abdominal obesity and Alzheimer disease"। Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders। 22 (2): 173–176। doi:10.1159/000094586। PMID 16847377।
- Anjana, M.; Sandeep, S.; Deepa, R.; Vimaleswaran, K. S.; Farooq, S.; Mohan, V. (২০০৪)। "Visceral and Central Abdominal Fat and Anthropometry in Relation to Diabetes in Asian Indians"। Diabetes Care। 27 (12): 2948–53। doi:10.2337/diacare.27.12.2948। PMID 15562212।
- Poehlman, Eric T. (১৯৯৮)। "Abdominal Obesity: The Metabolic Multi-risk Factor"। Coronary Heart Disease. Exp.। 9 (8): 469–471। doi:10.1097/00019501-199809080-00001।
- Westphal, S. A. (২০০৮)। "Obesity, Abdominal Obesity, and Insulin Resistance"। Clinical Cornerstone। 9 (1): 23–29; discussion 30–1। doi:10.1016/S1098-3597(08)60025-3। PMID 19046737।
- Cameron, A. J.; Zimmet, P. Z. (২০০৮)। "Expanding evidence for the multiple dangers of epidemic abdominal obesity"। Circulation। 117 (13): 1624–1626। doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.775080। PMID 18378623।
- Després, Jean-Pierre; Lemieux, Isabelle (২০০৬)। "Abdominal Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome"। Nature। 444 (7121): 881–887। doi:10.1038/nature05488। PMID 17167477।
- Expert Panel On Detection, Evaluation (২০০১)। "Executive Summary of The Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, And Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III)"। JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association। 285 (19): 2486–97। doi:10.1001/jama.285.19.2486। PMID 11368702।
- Grundy SM, Brewer HB, Cleeman JI, Smith SC, Lenfant D, for the Conference Participants. Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National, Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Circulation. 2004;109:433-438.
- "American Heart Association's description of Syndrome X"। Americanheart.org। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- Morkedal B, Romundstad PR, Vatten LJ (জুন ২০১১)। "Informativeness of indices of blood pressure, obesity and serum lipids in relation to ischaemic heart disease mortality: the HUNT-II study"। European Journal of Epidemiology। 26 (6): 457–61। doi:10.1007/s10654-011-9572-7। PMID 21461943। পিএমসি ।
- Bujalska IJ, Kumar S, Stewart PM (১৯৯৭)। "Does central obesity reflect "Cushing's disease of the omentum"?"। Lancet। 349 (9060): 1210–3। doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(96)11222-8। PMID 9130942।
- Romero-Corral, A. Somers, V. Lopez-Jimenez, F. Korenfeld, Y. Palin, S. Boelaert, K. Boarin, S. Sierra-Johnson, J. Rahim, A. (2008) 3-D Body Scanner, Body Volume Index: A Novel, Reproducible and Automated Anthropometric Tool Associated with Cardiometabolic Biomarkers Obesity A Research Journal 16 (1) 266-P
- Ghroubi, S.; Elleuch, H.; Guermazi, M.; Kaffel, N.; Feki, H.; Abid, M.; Baklouti, S.; Elleuch, M. H. (২০০৭)। "Abdominal obesity and knee ostheoarthritis"। Annales de Réadaptation et de Médecine Physique। 50 (8): 661–666। doi:10.1016/j.annrmp.2007.03.005। PMID 17445932।
- Ghoshal, Kakali (২০১৫)। "Adiponectin: Probe of the molecular paradigm associating diabetes and obesity"। World Journal of Diabetes। 6 (1): 151–66। doi:10.4239/wjd.v6.i1.151। PMID 25685286। পিএমসি ।
- Darabi, Hossein; Raeisi, Alireza; Kalantarhormozi, Mohammad Reza; Ostovar, Afshin; Assadi, Majid; Asadipooya, Kamyar; Vahdat, Katayoun; Dobaradaran, Sina; Nabipour, Iraj (২০১৫)। "Adiponectin as a Protective Factor Against the Progression Toward Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Postmenopausal Women"। Medicine। 94 (33): e1347। doi:10.1097/md.0000000000001347। PMID 26287420। পিএমসি ।
- Duman BS, Turkoglu C, Gunay D, Cagatay P, Demiroglu C, Buyukdevrim AS (২০০৩)। "The interrelationship between insulin secretion and action in type 2 diabetes mellitus with different degrees of obesity: evidence supporting central obesity"। Diabetes Butr Metab। 16 (4): 243–250।
- Gabriely I.; Ma X. H.; Yang X. M.; Atzmon G; Rajala MW; Berg AH; Sherer P; Rossetti L; Barzilai N. (অক্টোবর ২০০২)। "Removal of visceral fat prevents insulin resistance and glucose intolerance of aging: an adipokine-mediated process?"। Diabetes। 51 (2951–2958): 2951–8। doi:10.2337/diabetes.51.10.2951। PMID 12351432।
- Asensio C.; Cettour-Rose P.; Theander-Carrillo C.; Rohner-Jeanrenaud F.; Muzzin P. (মে ২০০৪)। "Changes in glycemia by leptin administration or high-fat feeding in rodent models of obesity/type 2 diabetes suggest a link between resistin expression and control of glucose homeostasis"। Endocrinology। 145 (2206–2213): 2206–13। doi:10.1210/en.2003-1679। PMID 14962997।
- Degawa-Yamauchi MBJE; Juliar BE; Watson W; Kerr K; Jones RM; Zhu Q; Considine RV (২০০৩)। "Serum resistin (FIZZ3) protein is increased in obese humans"। Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism। 88 (11): 5452–5455। doi:10.1210/jc.2002-021808। PMID 14602788।
- Lee J. H.; Bullen Jr J. W.; Stoyneva V. L.; Mantzoros C. S. (২০০৫)। "Circulating resistin in lean, obese and insulin-resistant mouse models: lack of association with insulinemia and glycemia"। Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab.। 288 (3): E625–E632। doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00184.2004। PMID 15522996।
- Vendrell J, Broch M, Vilarrasa N, Molina A, Gomez JM, Gutierrez C, Simon I, Soler J, Richart C (২০০৪)। "Resistin, adiponectin, ghrelin, leptin, and proinflammatory cytokines: relationships in obesity"। Obesity Research। 12 (6): 962–971। doi:10.1038/oby.2004.118। PMID 15229336।
- Hirosumi J, Tuncman G, Chang L, Gorgun CZ, Uysal KT, Maeda K, Karin M, Hotamisligil GS (২০০২)। "A central role for JNK in obesity and insulin resistance"। Nature। 420 (6913): 333–336। doi:10.1038/nature01137। PMID 12447443।
- Rajala M. W.; Qi Y.; Patel H. R.; Takahashi N; Banerjee R; Pajvani UB; Sinha MK; Gingerich RL; Scherer PE; ও অন্যান্য (জুলাই ২০০৪)। "Regulation of resistin expression and circulating levels in obesity, diabetes, and fasting"। Diabetes। 53 (1671–1679): 1671–9। doi:10.2337/diabetes.53.7.1671। PMID 15220189।
- Silha JV, Krsek M, Skrha JV, Sucharda P, Nyomba BL, Murphy LJ (২০০৩)। "Plasma resistin, adiponectin and leptin levels in lean and obese subjects: correlations with insulin resistance"। Eur. J. Endocrinol.। 149 (4): 331–335। doi:10.1530/eje.0.1490331। PMID 14514348।
- Smith S. R.; Bai F.; Charbonneau C.; Janderova L.; Argyropoulos G. (জুলাই ২০০৩)। "A promoter genotype and oxidative stress potentially link resistin to human insulin resistance"। Diabetes। 52 (1611–1618): 1611–8। doi:10.2337/diabetes.52.7.1611। PMID 12829623।
- Fujinami A.; Obayashi H.; Ohta K; Ichimura T; Nishimura M; Matsui H; Kawahara Y; Yamazaki M; Ogata M; ও অন্যান্য (জানুয়ারি ২০০৪)। "Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for circulating human resistin: resistin concentrations in normal subjects and patients with type 2 diabetes"। Clin. Chim. Acta। 339 (57–63): 57–63। doi:10.1016/j.cccn.2003.09.009। PMID 14687894।
- McTernan P. G.; Fisher F. M.; Valsamakis G; Chetty R; Harte A; McTernan CL; Clark PM; Smith SA; Barnett AH; ও অন্যান্য (ডিসেম্বর ২০০৩)। "Resistin and type 2 diabetes: regulation of resistin expression by insulin and rosiglitazone and the effects of recombinant resistin on lipid and glucose metabolism in human differentiated adipocytes"। J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab.। 88 (6098–6106): 6098–106। doi:10.1210/jc.2003-030898। PMID 14671216।
- Steppan CM, Bailey ST, Bhat S, Brown EJ, Banerjee RR, Wright CM, Patel HR, Ahima RS, Lazar MA, ও অন্যান্য (২০০১)। "The hormone resistin links obesity to diabetes"। Nature। 409 (6818): 307–312। doi:10.1038/35053000। PMID 11201732।
- McTernan C. L.; McTernan P. G.; Harte A. L.; Levick P. L.; Barnett A. H.; Kumar S. (২০০২)। "Resistin, central obesity, and type 2 diabetes"। Lancet। 359 (46–47): 2002–2003। doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(02)08836-0। PMID 12076559।
- McTernan P. G.; McTernan C. L.; Chetty R; Jenner K; Fisher FM; Lauer MN; Crocker J; Barnett AH; Kumar S. (২০০২)। "Increased resistin gene and protein expression in human abdominal adipose tissue"। J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab.। 87 (5): 2407। doi:10.1210/jc.87.5.2407।
- Valsamakis G.; McTernan P. G.; Chetty R; Al Daghri N; Field A; Hanif W; Barnett AH; Kumar S. (২০০৪)। "Modest weight loss and reduction in waist circumference after medical treatment are associated with favourable changes in serum adipocytokines"। Metab. Clin. Exp.। 53 (4): 430–434। doi:10.1016/j.metabol.2003.11.022। PMID 15045687।
- Shore, S.; Johnston, R. (২০০৬)। "Obesity and asthma"। Pharmacology & Therapeutics। 110 (1): 83–102। doi:10.1016/j.pharmthera.2005.10.002। PMID 16297979।
- Thomson, Carey C.; Clark, Sunday; Camargo, Carlos A., Jr. (২০০৩)। "Body Mass Index and Asthma Severity Among Adults Presenting to the Emergency Department"। Chest। 124 (3): 795–802। doi:10.1378/chest.124.3.795।
- Debette, Stéphanie; Beiser, Alexa; Hoffmann, Udo; ও অন্যান্য (২০১০)। "Visceral fat is associated with lower brain volume in healthy middle-aged adults"। Annals of Neurology। 68 (2): 136–144। doi:10.1002/ana.22062। PMID 20695006। পিএমসি ।
- "'Beer belly' link to Alzheimer's"। BBC News। ২০১০-০৫-২০।
- Mitchell, Steve (২০০৮-০৩-২৬)। "Bulging belly now could mean dementia later"। NBC News। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- Stanhope, Kimber L.; Havel, Peter J. (মার্চ ২০১০)। "Fructose consumption: Recent results and their potential implications"। Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences। 1190: 15–24। doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.05266.x। PMID 20388133। পিএমসি ।
- Elliott, Sharon; Keim, Nancy L.; Stern, Judith S.; Teff, Karen; Havel, Peter J. (নভেম্বর ২০০২)। "Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resistance syndrome"। American Journal of Clinical Nutrition। 76 (5): 911–922। doi:10.1093/ajcn/76.5.911। PMID 12399260।
- Perez-Pozo, SE; ও অন্যান্য (২২ ডিসেম্বর ২০০৯)। "Excessive fructose intake induces the features of metabolic syndrome in healthy adult men: role of uric acid in the hypertensive response" (PDF)। International Journal of Obesity। 34 (3): 454–461। doi:10.1038/ijo.2009.259। PMID 20029377।
- Choi, Mary (মার্চ ২০০৯)। "The Not-so-Sweet Side of Fructose"। JASN। 3। 20 (3): 457–459। doi:10.1681/asn.2009010104। PMID 19244571।
- Vergnaud, Anne-Claire; Norat, Teresa; Romaguera, Dora; Mouw, Traci; May, Anne M.; Travier, Noemie; Luan, Jian'an; Wareham, Nick; Slimani, Nadia (২০১০-০৮-০১)। "Meat consumption and prospective weight change in participants of the EPIC-PANACEA study"। The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition। 92 (2): 398–407। doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.28713। PMID 20592131। আইএসএসএন 1938-3207।
- Vergnaud, Anne-Claire; Norat, Teresa; Romaguera, Dora; Peeters, Petra HM (২০১০-১১-০১)। "Reply to A Astrup et al"। The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition। 92 (5): 1275–1276। doi:10.3945/ajcn.110.000786। আইএসএসএন 0002-9165।
- Heindel, Jerrold (২০১১)। The Obesogen Hypothesis of Obesity: Overview and Human Evidence। Endocrine Updates। 4। 30। Springer। পৃষ্ঠা 355–365। doi:10.1007/978-1-4419-7034-3_17। আইএসবিএন 978-1-4419-7033-6।
- Ibrahim, Islam Ahmed Abd El-Hamid (২০১১)। "Is the effect of high fat diet on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism related to inflammation?"। Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism। 4 (3): 203–209। doi:10.1007/s12349-011-0056-9।
- Cuthbertson, Daniel; Smith, Kenneth; Babraj, John; Leese, Graham; Waddell, Tom; Atherton, Philip; Wackerhage, Henning; Taylor, Peter M.; Rennie, Michael J. (মার্চ ২০০৫)। "Anabolic deficits underlie amino acid resistance of wasting, aging muscle"। The FASEB Journal। 19 (3): 422–424। doi:10.1096/fj.04-2640fje। PMID 15596483।
- Loenneke, Jeremy; Wilson, Jacob M.; Manninen, Anssi H.; Wray, Mandy E.; Barnes, Jeremy T.; Pujol, Thomas J. (জানুয়ারি ২০১২)। "Quality protein intake is inversely related with abdominal fat"। Nutrition & Metabolism। 9 (1)।
- President and fellows of Harvard College. (2006). Abnormal obesity and your health. Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/abdominal-obesity-and-your-health.shtml
- Bujalska, Iwona; ও অন্যান্য (২৬ এপ্রিল ১৯৯৭)। "Does central obesity reflect "Cushing's disease of the omentum"?"। The Lancet। 349 (9060): 1210–1213। doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(96)11222-8। PMID 9130942।
- Carey D.G.P. (1998). Abdominal Obesity. Current Opinion in Lipidology. (pp. 35-40). Vol. 9, No 1. Retrieved on April 9, 2012.
- Després, J. (২০০৬)। "Abdominal obesity: the most prevalent cause of the metabolic syndrome and related cardiometabolic risk"। European Heart Journal। 8 (Supplements): B4–B12। doi:10.1093/eurheartj/sul002।
- Abdominal obesity and your health. (2006). Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/abdominal-obesity-and-your-health.shtml
- H. Schroder; ও অন্যান্য (২০০৭)। "Relationship of abdominal obesity with alcohol consumption at population scale" (PDF)। European Journal of Nutrition। 46 (7): 369–376। doi:10.1007/s00394-007-0674-7। PMID 17885722।
- National Cholesterol Education Program (২০০২)। Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (ATP III Final Report)। National Institutes of Health। পৃষ্ঠা II–17। ২০০৫-০৫-২৪ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১১-০৫-১৪।
- Yusuf S; Hawken S; Ounpuu S; Dans T; Avezum A; Lanas F; McQueen M; Budaj A; Pais P; Varigos J; Lisheng L; INTERHEART Study Investigators. (২০০৪)। "Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): Case-control study"। Lancet। 364 (9438): 937–52। doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17018-9। PMID 15364185।
- Parikh, Rakesh M; Menon, Padmavathy S; Shah, Nalini S; Shah, N (২০০৭)। "Index of central obesity – A novel parameter"। Medical Hypotheses। 68 (6): 1272–5। doi:10.1016/j.mehy.2006.10.038। PMID 17156939।
- Iribarren, Carlos; Darbinian, Jeanne A.; Lo, Joan C.; Fireman, Bruce H.; Go, Alan S. (২০০৬)। "Value of the Sagittal Abdominal Diameter in Coronary Heart Disease Risk Assessment: Cohort Study in a Large, Multiethnic Population"। American Journal of Epidemiology। 164 (12): 1150–9। doi:10.1093/aje/kwj341। PMID 17041127।
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Evidence Syntheses (২০০০)। HSTAT: Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, 3rd Edition: Recommendations and Systematic Evidence Reviews, Guide to Community Preventive Services।
- "Abdominal obesity and your health"। Health.harvard.edu। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- Smith, Sidney C.; Haslam, David (২০০৭)। "Abdominal obesity, waist circumference and cardiometabolic risk: awareness among primary care physicians, the general population and patients at risk – the Shape of the Nations survey"। Current Medical Research and Opinion। 23 (1): 379–84। doi:10.1185/030079906X159489। PMID 17261236।
- Knowles, K. M.; Paiva, L. L.; Sanchez, S. E.; Revilla, L.; Lopez, T.; Yasuda, M. B.; Yanez, N. D.; Gelaye, B.; Williams, M. A. (২০১১)। "Waist Circumference, Body Mass Index, and Other Measures of Adiposity in Predicting Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors among Peruvian Adults"। International Journal of Hypertension। 2011: 1–10। doi:10.4061/2011/931402। PMID 21331161। পিএমসি ।
- Méthot, Julie; Houle, Julie; Poirier, Paul (২০১০)। "Obesity: how to define central adiposity?"। Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy। 8 (5): 639–44। doi:10.1586/erc.10.38। PMID 20450297।
- Parikh, Rakesh M.; Joshi, Shashank R.; Pandia, Kirti (২০০৯)। "Index of Central Obesity Is Better Than Waist Circumference in Defining Metabolic Syndrome"। Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders। 7 (6): 525–8। doi:10.1089/met.2008.0102। PMID 19558273।
- National Cholesterol Education Program (২০০২)। Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (ATP III Final Report)। National Institutes of Health। পৃষ্ঠা II–27। ২০০৫-০৫-২৪ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১১-০৫-১৪।
- Misra, Anoop; Wasir, Jasjeet S.; Vikram, Naval K.; Pandey, Ravindra M.; Kumar, Pawan (২০১০)। "Cutoffs of Abdominal Adipose Tissue Compartments as Measured by Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Detection of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Apparently Healthy Adult Asian Indians in North India"। Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders। 8 (3): 243–7। doi:10.1089/met.2009.0046। PMID 20156066।
- Alberti KG, Zimmet P, Shaw J, IDF Epidemiology Task Force Consensus Group (২০০৫)। "The metabolic syndrome—a new worldwide definition"। Lancet। 366 (9491): 1059–1062। doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67402-8। PMID 16182882।
- Joshi, P. P. (২০০৮)। "Is Waist to Height Ratio a Better and More Practical Measure of Obesity to Assess Cardiovascular or Diabetes risk in Indians?"। Journal of Association of Physicians of India। 56: 202–3; author reply 203–4। PMID 18700281।
- Veigas, Nina Maria; Dharmalingam, Mala; Marcus, Sara Rani (২০১১)। "Oxidative Stress in Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome in Asian Indians"। Journal of Medical Biochemistry। 30 (2): 115–20। doi:10.2478/v10011-011-0006-6।
- Gupta, R; Rastogi, Priyanka; Sarna, M; Gupta, VP; Sharma, SK; Kothari, K (২০০৭)। "Body-Mass Index, Waist-Size, Waist-Hip Ratio and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Urban Subejcts"। Journal of Association of Physicians of India। 55: 621–7। PMID 18051732।
- [Li C, Ford ES, McGuire LC, Mokdad AH. Increasing trends in waist circumference and abdominal obesity among US adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2007;15 (1) 216- 224]
- Lemieux S, Prudhomme D, Bouchard C, Tremblay A, Despres JP (১৯৯৩)। "Sex differences in the relation of visceral adipose tissue to total body fatness"। Am J Clin Nutr। 58 (4): 463–467। doi:10.1093/ajcn/58.4.463। PMID 8379501।
- Carey DG, Campbell LV, Chisholm DJ (১৯৯৬)। "Is visceral fat (intra-abdominal and hepatic) a major determinant of gender differences in insulin resistance and dyslipidaemia?"। Diabetes। 45: 110A।
- Wingard DL (১৯৯০)। "Sex differences and coronary heart disease. A case of comparing apples and pears?"। Circulation। 81 (5): 1710–12। doi:10.1161/01.cir.81.5.1710।
- Andersen Barbara L.; LeGrand Joseph (১৯৯১)। "Body Image for Women: Conceptualization, Assessment, and a Test of Its Importance to Sexual Dysfunction and Medical Illness"। Journal of Sex Research। 28 (3): 457–78। doi:10.1080/00224499109551619। PMID 21451731। পিএমসি ।
-  ওয়েব্যাক মেশিনে আর্কাইভকৃত অক্টোবর ২৪, ২০০৭ তারিখে
- "Abdominal fat and what to do about it - Harvard Health Publications"। Health.harvard.edu। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- Elbers, J. M. H.; Asscheman, H.; Seidell, J. C.; Gooren, L. J. G. (১৯৯৯-০২-০১)। "Effects of sex steroid hormones on regional fat depots as assessed by magnetic resonance imaging in transsexuals"। American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism। 276 (2): E317–E325। doi:10.1152/ajpendo.1999.276.2.E317। PMID 9950792।
- Seidell, J. C.; Björntorp, P.; Sjöstrom, L.; Kvist H.; Sannerstedt, R. (১৯৯০)। "Visceral fat accumulation in men is positively associated with insulin, glucose, and C-peptide levels, but negatively with testosterone levels"। Metabolism। 39 (9): 897–901। doi:10.1016/0026-0495(90)90297-p। PMID 2202881।
- Tchernof A.; Després J.-P.; Bélanger A.; Dupont A.; Prud'homme D.; Moorjani S.; Lupien P. J.; Labrie F. (১৯৯৫)। "Reduced testosterone, and adrenal C19 steroid levels in obese men"। Metabolism। 44 (4): 513–519। doi:10.1016/0026-0495(95)90060-8। PMID 7723675।
- Barrett-Connor E (১৯৯৭)। "Sex differences in coronary heart disease. Why are women so superior? The 1995 Ancel Keys Lecture"। Circulation। 95 (1): 252–264। doi:10.1161/01.cir.95.1.252। PMID 8994444।
- "Even a Little Exercise Fights Obesity"। Webmd.com। ২০০৯-১১-০৬। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- "Weight Management"। Washington.edu। ২০১২-১১-২৬। ফেব্রুয়ারি ৯, ২০১৩ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- Rockoff, Jonathan D.; Dooren, Jennifer Corbett (অক্টোবর ৮, ২০১০)। "Abbott Pulls Diet Drug Meridia Off US Shelves"। The Wall Street Journal। ১১ অক্টোবর ২০১০ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ৮ অক্টোবর ২০১০।
- "Top obesity drug sibutramine being suspended"। BBC News। ২০১০-০১-২২। ২৫ জানুয়ারি ২০১০ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১০-০১-২২।
- (জার্মান) Sibutramin-Vertrieb in der Europäischen Union ausgesetzt . Abbott Laboratories in Germany. Press release 2010-01-21. Retrieved 2010-01-27
- "Sibutramine (brand name Reductil) Information - Australia"। Abbott Laboratories। ২০১০। ১৪ অক্টোবর ২০১০ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১০-১০-০৮।
- "Health Canada Endorsed Important Safety Information on MERIDIA (Sibutramine Hydrochloride Monohydrate): Subject: Voluntary withdrawal of Meridia® (sibutramine) capsules from the Canadian market"। Hc-sc.gc.ca। ২০১০-১০-১৪। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১৩-০১-০৫।
- "De-registration of pharmaceutical products containing sibutramine" (সংবাদ বিজ্ঞপ্তি)। info.gov in Hong Kong। নভেম্বর ২, ২০১০। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১০-১১-০৮।
- "Thai FDA reveals voluntary withdrawal of sibutramine from the Thai market" (PDF) (সংবাদ বিজ্ঞপ্তি)। Food and Drug Administration of Thailand। অক্টোবর ২০, ২০১০। মে ১১, ২০১১ তারিখে মূল (PDF) থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০১০-১২-২২।
- Arciero, PJ; Gentile, CL (আগস্ট ১৬, ২০০৬)। "Increased dietary protein and combined high intensity aerobic and resistance exercise improves body fat distribution and cardiovascular risk factors."। International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism। 16 (4): 373–392। CiteSeerX । doi:10.1123/ijsnem.16.4.373। PMID 17136940।
- Kelley, George A.; Kelley, Kristi S.; Roberts, Susan; Haskell, William (২০১২)। "Combined Effects of Aerobic Exercise and Diet on Lipids and Lipoproteins in Overweight and Obese Adults: A Meta-Analysis"। Journal of Obesity। 2012: 985902। doi:10.1155/2012/985902। PMID 22523670। পিএমসি ।
- Fonseca V (২০০৩)। "Effect of thiazolidinediones on body weight in patients with diabetes mellitus"। Am. J. Med.। 115 Suppl 8A (8): 42S–48S। doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2003.09.005। PMID 14678865।
- 23/09/2010 European Medicines Agency recommends suspension of Avandia, Avandamet and Avaglim http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2010/09/news_detail_001119.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1
- Bacon, Linda; Aphramor, Lucy (জানুয়ারি ২৪, ২০১১)। "Weight Science: Evaluating the Evidence for a Paradigm Shift"। Nutr J.। 10 (9): 9। doi:10.1186/1475-2891-10-9। PMID 21261939। পিএমসি ।
- Howard BV, Manson JE, Stefanick ML, Beresford SA, Frank G, Jones B, Rodabough RJ, Snetselaar L, Thomson C, Tinker L, ও অন্যান্য (২০০৬)। "Low-fat dietary pattern and weight change over 7 years: the Women's Health Initiative Dietary Modification Trial."। JAMA। 295 (1): 39–49। doi:10.1001/jama.295.1.39। PMID 16391215।
- Michael Jensen, M.D. (২০০৭-০১-১৯)। "Belly fat in men: What you need to know"। Mayoclinic.com। ২৩ মার্চ ২০০৮ তারিখে মূল থেকে আর্কাইভ করা। সংগ্রহের তারিখ ২০০৮-০৪-০৭।
Sit-ups will make your abdominal muscles stronger, sure. And, you may look thinner by building your abdominal muscles because you can hold in your belly fat better. But strengthening your stomach muscles alone will not specifically reduce belly fat.
- Bobak M, Skodova Z, Marmot M (২০০৩)। "Beer and obesity: a cross-sectional study"। Eur J Clin Nutr। 57 (10): 1250–3। doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601678। PMID 14506485।
- Staff writer (২০০৩-১০-১২)। "Why the beer belly may be a myth"। BBC News।
- Economic costs of abdominal obesity; Højgaard, Betina and Olsen, Kim Rose and Søgaard, Jes and Sørensen, Thorkild I A and Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte; Obesity facts, , 2008, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp. 146 - 154
|উইকিমিডিয়া কমন্সে Lazy-restless/Abdominal obesity সংক্রান্ত মিডিয়া রয়েছে।|
- Griesemer, Rebecca Lynn (জুলাই ২৫, ২০০৮)। "Index of Central Obesity as a Parameter to Evaluate Metabolic Syndrome for White, Black, and Hispanic Adults in the United States" (Master's thesis)। Public Health Theses। Georgia State University।
- Lee, Kayoung; Song, Yun-Mi; Sung, Joohon (২০০৮)। "Which Obesity Indicators Are Better Predictors of Metabolic Risk?: Healthy Twin Study"। Obesity। 16 (4): 834–40। doi:10.1038/oby.2007.109। PMID 18239595।
- Shao, J.; Yu, L.; Shen, X.; Li, D.; Wang, K. (২০১০)। "Waist-to-height ratio, an optimal predictor for obesity and metabolic syndrome in Chinese adults"। The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging। 14 (9): 782–5। doi:10.1007/s12603-010-0106-x। PMID 21085910।