General criteria for Gadgets
Gadgets should generally pass the following conditions:
- Gadgets must work if just included with no further configuration. They can be configurable via monobook.js, but must work unconfigured.
- Gadgets must be compatible with all major browsers, i.e. they must not terminate with errors.
- Gadgets should be functional in most major browsers (cross-browser compatibility). Exceptions must be clearly stated.
- Duplication of gadgets should only be made if it's mostly reasonable.
- Collections of scripts should be applied as own entities. (No collection of scripts dumped as a gadget, unless the collection is specially defined as an own entity.)
- Gadgets requiring permissions must be marked, and must fail gracefully if the permissions aren't present.
- Gadgets only working in some skins must be marked as such, if that data is available.
- Add the header below and the script code to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname.js
- Optionally, add the header below and CSS code to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname.css
- Add a script description to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname. Please link to the script home and/or help page and state browser requirements if needed.
- Add to MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition under the appropriate heading
- Update the table of installed gadgets below
The gadget should now appear on Special:Gadgets.
Comments or warnings can be added to the gadget description templates in two ways:
- noiclude tag (visible on description page with links):
<noinclude> comment </noinclude>
- HTML comments (visible in source text only):
<!-- comment -->
Comments added in this way will be automatically discarded during the page creation process.
The following header is to be added to the gadget files:
// _________________________________________________________________________________________ // | | // | === WARNING: GLOBAL GADGET FILE === | // | Changes to this page affect many users. | // | Please discuss changes on the talk page or on [[Wikipedia_talk:Gadget]] before editing. | // |_________________________________________________________________________________________| // // Imported from version XXXX as of DATE from [[SCRIPT_SOURCE]] // SHORT_DESCRIPTION, see [[SCRIPT_HOME_PAGE]]
Currently installed gadgets
- Wikipedia:Gadget/proposals, discussing the addition of gadgets
- Wikipedia:Gadget/evaluation for an evaluation of the existing user scripts
- Special:Gadgets, lists the installed gadgets similar to the preferences but has edit links
- MediaWiki talk:Gadgets-definition, discussing technical details of making and maintaining gadgets
- Wikipedia:WikiProject User scripts
- mw:Extension:Gadgets, the Mediawiki gadget extension page
- Template:Bug report, template message asking for detailed bug-related information